1. Any kind of trousers, pants, skirts or panti-hose that only come up to the hip. Haven’t we had enough of clothing manufacturers saving money on your back, not to mention Plumber’s Crack? Doesn’t anyone see how ridiculous they look?
2. Animal prints: why did they have to escape the bowling alleys and trailer-parks and migrate into J. Crew? Was there really nothing else to do…?
3. Open-toed and peep-toed shoes, which are strictly for summer. And, of course, forget the sandals and flip-flops.
4. Bare ankles peeking out under what we used to derisively call “high-water” pants, trousers, and slacks. If ankles and parts of your calves are showing, your garment is too short and makes your legs look truncated. For a finished look, if not to protect your feet and shoes. you ought to be wearing some sort of hosiery (knee-length stockings are cheap and plentiful). Unless, of course, you are at a very sultry resort. Even then, I would restrict the bare-foot and bare-legged look to poolside. See my Bermuda Dress Code for elucidation on elegance at resorts.
5. Cargo pants…not even in the garden.
6. Empire “waists”–no matter what, they make a gal look preggers. See my article, “Where Is the Waist?”
7. Muscle-shirts and sleeveless dresses (not even in the garden).
8. Cap-sleeves, which make even the upper-arms of skinny chicks look fat.
To Be Continued…
Copyright ©M-J de Mesterton 2012